Lola Medicine Keeper, Bananafannafofama
Soothe Your Weary Mind with Banana Tea
When following any transformational path, our nervous systems (and therefore our sleep cycles) can become frazzled. Over-active imagination, worry, excitement, fears, etc. can all lead to depleted energies. Even without any deep inner work, our bodies and minds suffer from our constant go-go-go.
As we explore deeper levels of consciousness and work on our limiting beliefs, we often unlock or access intense energies that can further overwhelm our system. Thankfully, many herbal remedies exist to support us in these times of imbalance!
Enter this delightful, surprisingly delicious (despite its appearance) nighttime organic banana tea recipe.
Making this drink an hour or so before bedtime helps you sleep deeply thanks to a host of sleep aids; including the banana peel’s hearty dose of magnesium and the nervine sedatives of passion flower (Passiflora incarnata) and valerian root (Valeriana officinalis). Both passion flower and valerian contain GABA, which helps reduce brain activity – one of the main causes of insomnia and restless sleep.
We opted to include ashwagandha root (Withania somnifera), a powerful adaptogen that helps the body recuperate from stress, and regulate hormones and blood sugar. You may be able to find these herbs at your local health food store. They’re also readily available online through our favorite herb resource: Starwest Botanicals.
This sleepy-time banana tea recipe is a new favorite of ours. You can just boil the peels (and eat or discard the fruit), but we enjoy leaving the banana fruit in with the tea as it cooks to add some natural sweetness.
Banana Tea for Sleep and Dreaming
- Rinse and clean banana. Use only organic or homegrown bananas to avoid harmful pesticides.
- With peel on, slice banana into discs. Discard brown ends of banana.
- In sauce pot, add water, banana slices, valerian and ashwagandha. Bring to boil.
- Once boiling, add cinnamon stick and simmer on low (covered) for 20 minutes.
- Turn off heat. Add passion flower and steep for another 15-20 minutes.
- Strain tea and consume warm. Serves two.